On Saturday we launched our first farmer’s markets of the season. They were both a huge success as we came close to selling out on everything in the first three hours! One of our most quickly sold items were our fresh peppers, which got us thinking that we should post a recipe using this insanely popular item. So we present you with this amazing stuffed pepper recipe! Perfect for a family dinner.
- 6 fresh peppers (whichever colour you prefer)
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- half of a white onion, diced
- half of a tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup of rice (we used long grain, but you can substitute it with brown for a healthier option)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- In a pot or rice cooker, prepare rice.
- Cut the tops off of all the peppers.
- In a large pot, boil about 6 cups of water. When boiled, reduce heat and drop in the peppers. Cover for 5 minutes.
- Take the peppers out of the water and place them in a greased casserole dish.
Preheat oven to 350.
- In a frying pan, combine the onion and ground beef. When the beef is nearly cooked, add the tomato and stir in until meat is browned. Remove from heat.
- Fill the peppers about halfway with rice, then fill them to the top with the ground beef, onion and tomato.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Put your peppers in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!