CSA – Frequently Asked Questions
What is a CSA?
CSA stands for “Community Supported Agriculture” also known as a “Farm Share”. It is the coming together of the consumer, the farmer and the land in order to support and grow sustainable agriculture in the local community. Its an organic way of integrating farming back into your life and that of the community with all its benefits.
When you sign up for a Forsythe Farms CSA share, you are supporting us as your local farmer by providing a steady income for the farm by pre-purchasing a share of the fruits and vegetables that we grow as well as helping us with planting costs. In return, you and your family are able to try new vegetables, learn to eat with the local growing season and receive fresh fruits and vegetables directly from the farm.
What are the Benefits of a CSA Share?
- The convenience of fresh produce delivered to your door
- Savour the flavour of fresh from the field produce in your weekly share
- Enjoy a wide variety of fresh locally grown fruits and vegetables, some that you may not have tried before.
- Get adventurous with your food. We’ll give you some recipes to try.
- Develop a close relationship between you and your local farmer
- Satisfaction of helping the local economy
- The fulfillment of supporting and helping the growth of local and sustainable agriculture in your community.
What is Included in my Share?
View our printable example shares here.
How does it work?
Sign up online to have your weekly share delivered to your door starting the first week of June
- On the first day of delivery, you will find at your door a black ‘Forsythe Farms CSA’ cooler bag and inside will be your first delivery of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- On the next delivery day, and for the rest of the season, simply leave your bag outside hanging on your door for your weekly deliveries.
- It’s also a good idea to put a couple of your own ice packs in the cooler bag, that way they will stay cold until you get back home.
- The amount of fruits and vegetables you receive each week is equal to your share cost. There is an additional one time fee of $10 for the insulated bag and a weekly delivery fee of $7.00 that is over and above the share cost. Explore our Ways to Save Programs to save on your share subscription.
Where can I Pick Up my Share and save on delivery fees?
- Markham Farmers Market -$2/a delivery charge.
Saturday mornings from 8am-1pm
(Main St. & Robinson St.)
- Whitby Farmers Market -$2/a delivery charge.
Wednesdays from 9am-4pm
(201 Brock St. South, Whitby at the old fire hall)
- On-Farm Pick-Up -No delivery fee charged.
Thursdays 10:30-5:30pm (1025 Cragg rd. Greenbank)
Do you do home delivery? -$7/a delivery charge.
Yes, we deliver to
- the Markham-Stouffville area every Thursday.
- to Whitby, Brooklin, Ajax, Oshawa every Friday.
What happens if I forget to put out my bag on the delivery day?
If we come to deliver the vegetables and there is no bag at the door, we will leave the vegetables in a replacement ‘Forsythe Farms CSA’ bag, and place it at the doorstep. Upon the following delivery, we ask that you leave out the 2 bags for us to collect.
Bags can only be delivered to one specified address. If the member is not home to receive their share they must notify us and an arrangement can be made to work around this. Ideally members can send a friend, family member, or co-worker to one of our farmers market locations to pick up the share.
Are you Organic?
We are not certified organic, but do include some organic produce in our shares. Our own produce from the farm is grown as responsibly as possible using minimal chemical inputs and only if we needed to save the crop. Insects, diseases and weather all play a part in farming and we try to deal with them in the best way available. The produce we locally source from other Ontario growers is from farmers we know and trust. This allows us to increase the variety in your shares over and above what we grow ourselves.
If you are unable to receive your share one week – please let one of us know and we can hold your share for you for the following week and double up when you return. You may also have a friend or relative pick up your share for you.